This project is read-only.

C# DB Schemas

Topics: Architecture
Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM
Edited Oct 20, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Hello I am an ERP Developer working for Apogee Enterprises.  We are currently implementing Epicor for all the BU's.  Not to go in to much history here but I was disatisfied when I found Progress at the core of the product.  When they sold the product to Apogee they shielded the fact that the product core was Progress code with a progress schema...  Anyways my disapointment has lead me to try to find an C# driven ERP system where the source code could be purchased.  My hope was to not have to write Accounting, MES, and other complicated ERP components but to inherit a base model to build and append on...

My thought was wouldn't be awesome to have a shcema built around Linq or the new ADO.NET Entity Framework.  But several articles explain that both of these are not fit for enterprise level data base schema support. 

My concern for using Linq or ADO.NET is that people are complaining all over the web about having problems with big EDMX models as below...

We are trying to migrate to Linq to Entity for managing access to an SQL
Database. We are experiencing problems when dealing with an EDMX model
containing a lot of entities and relations...

So question is would you have to build a custom schema holder to allow you to buffer your data from your Business Logic or do you risk using the Entity Framework?

Perhaps if you had 100's of small EDMX you could support the data schema using Linq or Entity,  but ERP definately has its tentacles and their is lot to be gained in having one huge Data Schema that houses all of the tables and their relationships...

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Hello Matt

Have you read our article here

http://community.devexpress.com/forums/t/80431.aspx?PageIndex=4

Can you give us your toughs about our methodology and approach

Regards

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM

OK I see the DevExpress tool is your schema layer that tool looks slick.  How does it support the 100's of tables you have and the multiple relationships you have?  Do you have problems with the visual representation of your schema as it is massive I would imagine?

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Hiya Matt,

Yes, XAF supports hundreds of tables/objects with all of their relationships.  Please visit www.devexpress.com for more information.   There is a free download and even a 60 day money back satisfaction guarantee with DX.

The only tool I use is the Class Diagram within VS.  It builds visual associations from Properties.  It is all POCO.

Other developers use a variety of commercial tools.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:40 AM

I am very interested in this project.  What and how can I help.