UX

Topics: Architecture
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM
How tightly coupled is XERP with WPF UX?

While WPF is pretty cool, it would alienate a lot of users that are not on Windows. With the popularity of tablets these days, it would make sense to allow for something that can work cross-platform as far as UX is concerned.

I would advocate for ASP.NET MVC. Or even better, allow for abstraction of UX - strict separation between client/server, to allow for multiple clients to be written.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM
the problem that we always encountered in the past is that only a very few developers are the ones that actually do even some work. when XERP started on 2009, we had several meeting with Microsoft, and so many team members, we were heading to success. but in the end it was only me and Garth Henderson doing all the code, everybody else just love to join the meetings and give ideas, but no one ever did any work.
then Matt Paulson got involved and he really pushed some code.
Nobody else has done anything else, i guess most member like to show off Xerp on their resume.
with that said.
I am and have been an XAML person all around, but due to customer requirement and seeing trends. 9 months ago I started to with HotTowel, then got a few big contracts to do Business Application using Durandal.js , breeze, js, q,js, Html5 and Bootstrap. and right now i see how everything should be done using (the nonsense ) javaScrip not because i like it but because 60% of our customers use the Ipad and another good percentage use Android.. which is very hard to watch because I am emotionally attached to XAML. but, we need to produce and feed our families, so for right now Duradal 2.0 is the future.

I would love to do XERP in Durandal 2.0 + Bootstrap , (that is only me, only Oscar thinking) , because i know that 10 times more developers will join and contribute. And I like the durandal framework so much

Besides everybody wants HTML5 now days

these 2 courses are a very good starting point
http://pluralsight.com/training/Courses/TableOfContents/spa
http://pluralsight.com/training/Courses/TableOfContents/single-page-apps-jumpstart

but , I wonder will any developer do any work, can we pull it off

Regards
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of Durandal or breeze...I'll check it out.

I'm currently going through this course (see link) - it has a pretty good way of abstracting UI to be able to have both XAML and ASP.NET MVC UI.
http://www.pluralsight.com/training/Courses/TableOfContents/building-multi-client-end-to-end-service-oriented-applications
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM
JavaScript under Durandal fpr a .Net developer is just perfect

Durandal is very powerful, is pretty amazing
Complex charts can be done with simple code, and complex gridd can be done with a few lines of code using Bootstrap. Is like 100 times less code and 100 more responsive
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM
we will have to agree on one technology to follow, so far Mat is the only one doing amazing work in WPF
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Pretty cool. Will have to check it out.

BTW, I'm not against WPF...the idea is just to provide options. Check out the pluralsight course, if you can. It does a nice abstraction, and supports both WPF and ASP.NET.
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM
XERP has a DAL and a service Layer that could couple to any front end technology... But the domain is POCO .dll so you would have to reference the .dll in order to gain access to the domain... At some point it may be worth creating a service layer --- Domain Service ---- that would serve up the domain in SOA fashion... It has always been my vision to get XERP to a point where the front end did not matter... I was very tempted to SOA the domain to make it consumable by any client imagenable but never got quite that far... I don't argrue though if a different client was chosen it would probably create a lot more buzz for this project... I am guilty of that myself always touting the latest and greatest... But when you are on a 3 to 5 year time frame if you keep switching to latest and greatest then your 3 to 5 year project becomes 10 to 20 year project...
Coordinator
Sep 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM
It really would not take much to wrap the domain in SOA and then XERP would truly be Client neutral... As you could install the Server code and the Client Domain Servicess on a Windows box and ping them from any os and consume them in to any client you wanted... I really should have done that step... Perhaps I should do that as it would not take much to do that... Before I get too much XERP built it would probably be very beneficial to SOA the domain... I will look in to it perhaps before finishing up the part stuff...
Sep 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I think that implementing SOA would be a great direction. I'd be willing to work on ASP.NET MVC client :)
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Leop1 after looking at this and refreshing my concept of XERP... I think if you are really serious about branching the project to ASP.NET MVC client which is very cool I might add the best thing to do would be to create a branch... Consume the code in its entirity... That way you can consume the domain .dlls directly and then create an additional folder from the Client Folder i.e. Client/ClientWPF so you would have Client/ClientASPNET... then you could consume the domain objects via project reference or .dll... Once you have them consumed you can start to build a menu and start on menu security... It is a lot of fun... It should not be too bad as all of the hard work is done just have to call the right domain objects and or look at the existing view models as some logic had to be taken care of in the view models... I don't think it really pays to SOA the domain layer I think it is best consumed via .dll...
Oct 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM
I'll have to familiarize myself with the code a bit. So far I got it running on my box. Kind of hard to understand the logic flow. Are there any architecture diagrams?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM
In the documentation folder of XERP you will find a topology diagram...