Technology Ideas

Topics: Architecture
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Hi, I've been following XERP for a while, and think it would be great to have an open-source ERP in .NET. I have lately been looking at the open source ERP's out there - OpenERP, ADempiere, iDempiere, OpenBravo, and some others. (btw, looks like ADempiere, iDempiere and OpenBravo all originate from Compiere).

It appears that there are some core technologies at the base of each ERP - one of the main ones is a strong business process engine (PBE), a good product pricing engine (maybe built on top of business rules engine - BRE).

Another idea that came to mind is that perhaps Event Sourcing and CQRS would be a good model to use for an ERP system. I haven't implemented ES/CQRS, but it has some inherent characteristics such as 100% audit that would be great for ERP, especially the financial modules.

Event Sourcing info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj591559.aspx
CQRS info: http://cqrsguide.com/guide

It would be great to have a discussion around these core principles that make a solid ERP.
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
One other thing I missed - XERP would also need a strong module framework. I'd recommend to check out the modules approach used by nopCommerce - a great .NET open source shopping cart project. Making XERP easily integrate-able with nopCommerce will give you a big user base and support for XERP.

Cheers!
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM
awesome, thanks leop
we should get a team together and schedule a gotomeeting
check this out, this is how XERP started ( so long ago)
http://community.devexpress.com/forums/t/80431.aspx
we need to push more and to invest time (as we did before) in XERP
Regards
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Very good suggestions leop1... Anyone who is interested in adding content to XERP would be welcomed with open arms that is for sure... At the moment XERP requires core table maintenance... You need to walk before you can run... I am working on Part Maintenance to maintain part locations and quantities... My strategy is to concentrate on one module at a time and right now I think the best thing I can add is part maintenance with part tracking... After I get that up and going then I will probably move on to customer and supplier management... So while you have some great addition requests we are not ready for advanced ERP concepts as we are still in core building low level maintenance screens... Don't get me wrong we will get their... My hope is that as some point I will add enough content to peak interests and gain developers to take on specific modules... I am hoping after I get part maintenance and tracking it will be a good system to track inventory... from their it may peak enough interest to add additional modules... XERP will be evolve over time that is for sure and get more robust as it moves out of its infancy...
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Hi Matt,

Walk-before-you-run definitely makes sense. It is good to be able to show something working to get people interested.

It is, however, easier to fix software on paper before code is written, than to fix bugs or re-architect it later. I'd recommend to start some kind of collaborative document for the software architecture/design ideas, maybe a roadmap. This will also give prospective developers ideas of what they can contribute.

While some of the things I mentioned are advanced ERP concepts, others are a necessity (i.e. having audit capabilities for example), and would be good to at least think about them from the start.

I would definitely like to see the project succeed!

My .02 cents :)