DAL Template is availabe for download...

Topics: Roadmap
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • I have published some work on dealing with the Multiple Entity Structure we plan to move forward with for XERP...
    • It is available in the downloads section and is called XERPMultipleDALConfigExamle
    • It is very simple two project DAL to show how DAL Config will be shared...
    • AS well will Show some of the Build Settings we will leverage to help manage the massive project...
    • We have decided to break up or Data Modeling in to several small entities that would target a specific form or requirement...
    • We find working with one massive data entity is too confusing as understanding the relationships can grow
    • to be unamanageble...
    • But breaking it up becomes much more visually appealling as you are only working with a dozen tables rather than 200 at any given time...
  • Doing so however has it drawbacks as each entity model has meta data that is constructed and comunicated in its connection string...
    • Also buried is the SQL data base connection information...
    • Modifying 100+ connection strings everytime we were required to change or instantiate the physical data base connection would be a night mare.
    • So I have done some work to allow to maintain the entity's connection string but use the physical Data Base Connection from a centralized custom XERPConfig.XML file...
    • I then objectised it using POCO so that we could build UI to manage and comunicate with it
    • Or of course just mannually edit the XERPConfig.XML file would work...
    • In doing so it presented some chalenges as I needed to maintian and or define the physical path to the XERPConfig.XML file...
    • So I set up a resource string in the Main XERP project that will serve as the default location to the XERPConfig.XML file...
    • As well it can be defined in the WebConfig of the WCF Data Service as we can modify resource strings at runtime or once it is deployed as resource strings changes are buried in the assembly and a recompile is require when they are modified...
    • So the logic will first set it to the Resource String Value then it will check for an element in the web config if it finds it will overide the default value allowing us to change it upon deployment or any other reason we may need to deviate from the default location...
    • Of course if you developing you can change the default location and then recompile and it will pick up the change...
    • This will allow us to easily set in when we are building XERP and as well give us the ability to change it once we deploy XERP Services...
  • As well I did some work allowing for setting the Assembly properties from a shared assembly definition file...
    • I acomplished this by adding a .cs file with assembly definition properties as a linked file.
    • That way we can very easily uptick the build number on every assembly from one place...
  • In addition to that I set the build folders of the projects so they would all share the same build folder as to reduce redundancy...
  • Basic take away here is I totally understand the magnitude of building Enterprise ERP and alot of config work and set up is required on a small scale before we take off and start building this beast...
  • We have to make sure we have leveraged all of the tools within VS to best of our abilities to make sure that we can alleviate some pain down the road when he have global requirements across the XERP server solution...
  • Next step will be build BL CRUD template that will deal with the WCF data services some discovery on my part is required.  As well as understanding and implementing PRISM in to the main build to pull XERP together in a well documented Modular driven fashion...
  • More to come....